Our Favourite Resources
Our clients love resources, but sometimes it’s hard to find the good stuff! That being said, here are some of our favourites…
Informative Websites and Contacts
Your Mind Matters blogs:
We have a bunch of blogs on our website which discuss a range of topics: https://yourmindmatters.net.au/blogs/
- https://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/about/who-we-are/ – Support for a range of mental health disorders such as depression, anxiety, and PTSD.
- SANE Australia is a national mental health charity and work with people affected by complex mental health issues through support (e.g. phone, email, chat), research and advocacy: https://www.sane.org/services/help-centre#
- Support, Resources and Information: https://www.adavic.org.au. ADAVIC can link you in with support groups, and also have volunteers who can speak with you on the phone.
- The Centre for Clinical Interventions (CCI), based in Perth, Western Australia, have a range of free, evidence-based online resources to support individuals seeking self-help materials to improve their mental health. Head here to check out their online courses and modules: https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/Resources/Looking-After-Yourself
- Therapist Aid is another website healthcare practitioners visit frequently to source handouts and resources which we often use in session with clients as part of therapy. So much goodness all in one site! https://www.therapistaid.com
- Russ Harris is a local Melburnian who is a bit of an Acceptance and Commitment Therapy guru. His website has lots of free resources, videos – click on the “free stuff” section: https://www.actmindfully.com.au. He also has an 8-week course which could be of interest: https://thehappinesstrap.com/8-week-program/.
- https://www.thepsychcollective.com SOOO MANY RESOURCES here! Covering a range of topics, for clients and practitioners 🙂
- Looking for an online course? This Way Up has a few courses to assist with depression, anxiety, health anxiety, Old, and more!
Our Director is passionate about sleep education, so she made a little video on the two most important things you can do to sleep better: https://yourmindmatters.net.au/how-to-get-a-better-nights-sleep/
If you’d like to do a little more research, head here: https://www.sleepfoundation.org/articles/sleep-hygiene
Pregnancy and Fertility support
We wrote of blog all about what you can do when you can’t seem to fall pregnant (and it seems like everyone else is): https://yourmindmatters.net.au/cope-cant-fall-pregnant/
If you have experienced a pregnancy loss, SANDS has a range of support and resources: https://www.sands.org.au
Suicidal ideation and self-harm
If you are experiencing any thoughts related to self-harm or suicide, there is help available, right now! Here are some options:
- LifeLine: 13 11 14, https://www.lifeline.org.au (phone and text support)
- Emergency services: 000
- Mensline: 1300 78 99 78
- Beyond Blue: 1300 22 4636, https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/suicide-prevention
Contrary to popular belief, anger is totally okay, but it’s how we express it that can become problematic. When we feel anger, it’s out body’s way of telling us that we aren’t happy about something – perhaps the situation is unjust, against our morals or insulting. If you want to learn more about your anger triggers and more adaptive ways of coping, we recommend reading The Anger Fallacy by Steven Laurent and Ross Menzies (https://www.bookdepository.com/Anger-Fallacy-Steven-Laurent/9781922117199). There is also a workbook if you want to work through some practical activities.
Any Psychologist with an interest in relationship counselling will know about The Gottman Institute: https://www.gottman.com. Lots of resources for practitioners and courses for consumers, as well as some books. Please note that this is an American website so the prices are likely in American dollars. The Gottman Institute also has a few videos on YouTube, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib7Ain2aVR0
One of our Psychologists also wrote a blog on the topic: https://yourmindmatters.net.au/relationships-and-communication/
The Victorian Centre of Excellence in Eating Disorders (CEED) is the state-wide program in the Victorian Government’s commitment to the provision of quality services to those with eating disorders and their families. Lots of resources for those seeking support, and for those providing support also! https://ceed.org.au
Autism Spectrum Disorder
Autism Spectrum Australia (Aspect) is Australia’s largest autism-specific service provider, with one of the biggest autism-specific school programs in the world. Head to their website for more information: https://www.autismspectrum.org.au
We also have a couple blogs on our website related to ASD on our website:
- What is ASD? (English and Mandarin): https://yourmindmatters.net.au/autism-spectrum-disorder-asd-什么是泛自闭症障碍-asd-english-mandarin/
- Life After Diagnosis: https://yourmindmatters.net.au/now-life-formal-diagnosis-autism/
- ASD and Sensory Issues: https://yourmindmatters.net.au/autism-spectrum-sensory-issues/
- ASD and Anxiety: https://yourmindmatters.net.au/helping-children-adolescents-autism-spectrum-disorder-anxiety/
The Triple P – Positive Parenting Program’s simple, practical strategies have been proven to work around the world, helping parents raise happy, confident children; set family routines and rules that everyone can follow; and balance work and family life with less stress. AND…it’s currently free for Victorian parents! https://www.triplep-parenting.net.au
Also click on “Hot Parenting Topics”, lots of helpful information there on managing the most common parenting challenges!
We have a few blogs dedicated to supporting children:
- Understanding challenging behaviours: https://yourmindmatters.net.au/challenging-behaviours-childs-behaviour-trying-communicate/ & https://yourmindmatters.net.au/tips-dealing-children/
- Understanding anger in children: https://yourmindmatters.net.au/anger-in-children/
- Screen time: https://yourmindmatters.net.au/screen-time-much-much-problem/
- Preparing your child for school: https://yourmindmatters.net.au/preparing-child-school
Some of our favourite videos
- Russ Harris: The struggle switch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCp1l16GCXI…actually, anything from Russ Harris is usually a winner! Here is his website with some resources: https://www.actmindfully.com.au/free-stuff/free-audio/
- If you’re interested in Self-Compassion as a practice, check out Kristen Neff’s Ted Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvtZBUSplr4. Her website also has some helpful resources, such as audio’s of different self-compassion practices/activities: https://self-compassion.org/category/exercises/
- Yes, Russ Harris again! This is a video on facing COVID-19: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmvNCdpHUYM&t=2s,